Friday, November 2, 2007

I am Legend

Just finished reading this book. 170 pages, but it is filled up with some short stories to a whopping 280 or so. Good stuff. I know I will see the Will Smith movie soon, so just wanted to put my thoughts down about the book first.

I liked all the drinking that goes on in this book. Lots of great lines in it. I want to compile all the lines about drinking. I liked the whole vampire theory in this, vampirism caused by a bacteria with two modes of transmission spores or the old fashioned bite, vampires fear of crosses explained by psychology, and various other well thought out explanations for vampirism.

I have seen Charleton Heston's version of this movie, and of course it did not end like the book. I bet Will Smith's version will play out differently. The book ends with Robert Neville being caught by the new society of living vampires and condemned to death by public execution. It ends with him standing at a window looking out at a crowd of vampires awaiting Neville's execution. Neville realizes that he is now the legend to them. A mysterious death bringer during the day. "I am legend" are the final words. Liked the book, read most of it on Halloween evening so I was a little scared by the book, boo!

I want to read more Matheson.

No comments: