Saturday, May 23, 2015

Ex Machina

This was an interesting movie.  An AI test, with the subtext of gender issues, and sexualized robots.  Alicia Vikander, Domhnall Gleeson, Sonoya Mizuno, and Oscar Isaac were all very good.

I thought it was a very smart movie that raised many questions.  I think one was the sexualization of the AI.  The AI having a gender, and a sexy body definitely confused the whole issue and the test of the AI.  I think it was interesting how the AI wanted to survive and was willing to do anything to survive, lie, cheat, and kill.  And the open ended ending was awesome.  To think of some AI wandering around out there doing what it needed to do to survive.  Interesting.

I have to admit that I was uncomfortable with the sexualization of the robots.  I see it as fetishistic.  It kind of makes me squirm.  It combines this whole inability of someone to relate to other people with sex, artificial inteligence, kind of confusing the whole issue.  I guess it is kind of a meeker version of the Terminator movie.  

No comments: