Sunday, January 6, 2008

Coping with Babylon: The Proper Rastology

I watched this DVD the other day. Pretty interesting documentary about Rastafarianism. I did not know much about the Rastafarian movement prior to this movie.

I am sure I am going to butcher this, but this is what I found out. Rastafarianism is a non-cohesive religious movement that is based mostly in the Caribbean area and Jamaica in particular. They have loose held beliefs that include an idea that A. Salasie, a black man that became a king in Africa during the 20th Century was somehow a living god. That in revelations it speaks of A. Salasie and predicted or foretold his coming. That within Rastafarianism there are several movements, including, but not limited to, the 12 Tribes, Nyabingi (which I guess is a movement that Bob Marley was part of, and they mingle with other people in the world). That it is a black theology, meaning that god is black. On a side note, Mussolini invaded A. Salasie's country during his reign and many Rastafarians were offended by the lack of support for A. Salasie during that event. Smoking marijuana is a sacrament to them.

I love Bob Marley's music, and that is the main reason I watched this documentary to learn more about the man and his religion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

excellent

you did a great job

continue the exploration

and find yourself